|Atelier Firis: The Alchemist and the Mysterious Journey|
|Developer(s)||Gust Co. Ltd.|
|Platform(s)||PlayStation Vita, PlayStation 4, Microsoft Windows|
|Release||PS Vita, PS4|
Atelier Firis: The Alchemist and the Mysterious Journey (Japanese: フィリスのアトリエ ~不思議な旅の錬金術士~ Hepburn: Firisu no Atorie ~Fushigi na Tabi no Renkinjutsushi~) is a 2016 Japanese role-playing video game developed by Gust Co. Ltd. for the PlayStation 4, PlayStation Vita, and Microsoft Windows. It is the eighteenth main game in the Atelier series and the second game of the Mysterious storyline.
The time limit seen in previous games makes a partial return in this game. Players are expected to accomplish a goal within a year, then the rest of the game unlimited. Several actions, such as running, fighting, and synthesis, consume time. Furthermore, as time passes day and night will cycle. It is the first game in the Atelier series to feature an open world.
The item synthesis system allows the player to place items of different sizes into a square panel, which players place items of differing shapes into. These panels have lines that appear on them; covering all the lines grants bonuses. Catalysts are used to change the size of the panel and add new lines, and thus new bonuses. The usage of catalysts can result in greatly different versions of the same item. There is, additionally, mass synthesis, or the ability to create items that change the fields themselves.
Item synthesis is not bound to a single location. Instead, it can be performed at any campfire found in the land, using a portable atelier. This atelier can be decorated, and with some of the decorations offering special effects. Further, recipes for synthesis can be found from all kinds of activities, such as fighting, meeting characters, gathering materials, and the act of synthesis itself.
Items can be gathered through multiple methods. For instance, a rock can be broken with Firis's staff, or it can be blown up with an item, which may result in different materials.
Four characters can be taken into battle. Item effects and monster actions and abilities may change by the weather and time of day. Depending on the character's selected action, their wait time for their next turn may change. Through attacking enemies several times, they can be inflicted with "break", which makes them unable to move. They can be left stunned until they recover, or they can then be attacked for greater damage. As the characters perform action, a gauge fills, allowing characters to use "chain burst" activities when full. Any characters that move consecutively can use a combination attack together. Depending on the gauge and number of characters attacking together, chained skills can be used. Using these skills increases the "linkage" rate, which allows the use of finishing attacks once it reaches a certain value. All characters are capable of using items, however, only alchemists can use all items.
Firis Mistlud is a young girl living in a secluded mine town who dreams of exploring the world outside. One day, Firis becomes friends with Sophie and Plachta, the main characters of the previous game, who teach her the basics of alchemy. After proving her talent for alchemy, Firis is allowed to leave the village, but under the condition that she must pass the alchemist certification exam in one year, or she will be forced to return home. Thus begins Firis' journey to become a full fledged alchemist, and earn the right to keep exploring the world indefinitely.
- Firis Mistlud (フィリス・ミストルート Firisu Misutirudo)
- Voiced by: Kaede Hondo
- A young girl from the secluded mining town of Ertona, she is drawn to the world of alchemy upon meeting Sophie and Plachta. She is eager to travel the world and finds a chance when is allowed to study for the alchemy certification exam.
- Liane Mistlud (リアーネ・ミストルート Riane Misutoruto)
- Voiced by: Azusa Satou
- Firis' older sister who loves to dote on her. She is an archer who accompanies Firis in her travels.
- Sophie Neuenmuller (ソフィー・ノイエンミュラー Sofī Noienmyurā)
- Voiced by: Yuuka Aisaka
- The protagonist of the previous game, she becomes Firis' teacher and inspires her to become an alchemist.
- Plachta (プラフタ Purafuta)
- Voiced by: Yuka Iguchi
- Sophie's friend and teacher in alchemy who travels with her.
- Revy Berger (レヴィ・ベルガー)
- Voiced by: Junta Terashima
- A wandering swordsman seeking to become stronger, and becomes one of Firis' traveling companions.
- Ilmeria Von Leinweber (イルメリア・フォン・ラインウェバー Irumeria Bon Rainuebā)
- Voiced by: Sayaka Kaneko
- Daughter of a famous alchemist, she becomes Firis' close friend and rival.
- Oskar Behlmer (オスカー・ベールマー)
- Voiced by: Seichirou Yamashita
- Another character returning from Atelier Sophie, he can hear the voices of plants, and now sports a more mature demeanor and fit complexion.
- Drossel Weissberg (ドロッセル・ワイスベルク)
- Voiced by: Ari Ozawa
- A warrior and puppeteer who travels in search for her mother, she is the daughter of Fritz Weissberg from the previous game.
- Kald Lau (カルド・ラオ)
- Voiced by: Hiroki Touchi
- Angriff Dahlmann
- Voiced by: Taiten Kusunoki
- Shanon Atkins
- Voiced by: Yuuki Kuwahara
- Heintz Freihorn (ハインツ・フライホルン Haintsu Furaihorun)
- Voiced by: Yuuto Suzuki
The PlayStation Vita version of Atelier Firis: The Alchemist and the Mysterious Journey debuted at number five of the Japanese video game sales charts, with 16,153 copies sold and PC steam ver has sold in total 23,151 Digital copies based on information from the steamspy count .
- Gust Co. Ltd. (2016-11-02). Atelier Firis: The Alchemist and the Mysterious Journey. Gust Co. Ltd. Scene: Avant title.
- Atelier Firis: The Alchemist and the Mysterious Journey Original Soundtrack (Media notes). Asaco Nasu, Tatsuya Yano, Daisuke Achiwa, Kazuki Yanagawa, Ryudai Abe. Koei Tecmo Games. 2016.
- "Atelier Firis: The Alchemist and the Mysterious Journey". Koei Tecmo America. Koei Tecmo. Archived from the original on 2017-02-02. Retrieved 2017-02-13.
- Romano, Sal (November 9, 2016). "Media Create Sales: 10/31/16 – 11/6/16". Gematsu. Retrieved July 3, 2017.
- Official website (in Japanese)
- Official website