Think of a situation in which you have some accounting work to do for which the deadline is near, but the twist is that you cannot access the company data, sounds scary, right? Well, this is happening in reality with hundreds of QuickBooks users. In recent days, while trying to open the company file or restore its backup copy in QuickBooks Desktop, many users have received QuickBooks error 6144 82. There can be several reasons behind the occurrence of such a company file error that we will discuss with you through this post, along with the troubleshooting solutions.
You might be seeing the following error description with the error pop-up:
“QuickBooks has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.”
Recommended to Read :- QuickBooks error 12029
Looking for instant troubleshooting assistance to get over QuickBooks error 6144 82 without breaking a sweat? If yes, feel free to speak to our professional technical team at the toll-free number (844)-888-4666 .
What are the reasons triggering QuickBooks error code 6144 82?
Down below, we have mentioned all the reasons that can cause QuickBooks error code 6144 82:
- * Issues with the company file, like data corruption or long filename.
What are the best troubleshooting solutions for QuickBooks error 6144 82?
Solution 1) From the QuickBooks Tool Hub application, run QuickBooks File Doctor
- 1. Download QuickBooks Tool Hub of the most recent release (188.8.131.52) and save it somewhere on the computer that you can quickly find.
- 2. Select the installer named QuickBooksToolHub.exe and do as per the instructions mentioned on the screen.
- 3. To complete the QuickBooks Tool Hub installing, accept the terms and conditions.
- 4. Double-select the QuickBooks Tool Hub’s icon to open the application.
- 5. At the left pane of the window, select the Company File Issues tab.
- 6. Click on the Run QuickBooks File Doctor button.
- 7. Select the Browse and search button to find and choose the working company file with the .QBW extension.
- 8. Choose the Check your file option (middle one) and then select the Next button.
- 9.When prompted, type in the admin password of QuickBooks Desktop and then select the Next button.
Solution 2) Manually restore a backup copy of the company file in QuickBooks Desktop
- 1. On the keyboard, press the Windows key to select the Start menu.
- 2. Into the search box, enter *.QBB and select the Open file location option.
- 3. Make a short note of the location where the backup copy of the company file is saved.
- 4. Double-select the icon of QuickBooks Desktop to open the application.
- 5. At the top menu bar, select the File menu.
- 6. From the drop-down list, select the Open or Restore Company option.
- 7. Select the Restore a backup copy option and then choose the Next button.
- 8. Choose the Local Backup option and then click on the Next button.
- 9. Navigate to the location you have noted above and select the backup copy of the company file.
- 10. Select a folder to store the restored company file and then click on the Open button.
- 11. Once you are done following the steps mentioned above, select the Save button.
Even after implementing all the troubleshooting solutions explained above in the post, if QuickBooks error 6144 82 persists, then there is a great possibility that the backup copy of the company file is damaged. Our recommendation for you is to recover the company file using the Auto Data Recovery feature of QuickBooks and see whether this solves the error or not. For additional troubleshooting assistance resolving the company file error, feel free to speak to our QuickBooks professional team at the toll-free number (844)-888-4666 .