It is advisable for users to update payroll or QuickBooks Desktop from time to time to enhance the all-inclusive productivity and acquire the latest accounting features. However, there is a great possibility that users receive errors while trying to download the latest updates in QuickBooks Desktop. Among the update errors, the one we have noticed many are encountering these days is QuickBooks error 12029. A user might see an error message with the error pop-up stating, “A network timeout that is preventing QuickBooks from accessing the server.” There can be several reasons behind the occurrence of such an update error that we are going to talk about ahead in this post, alongside the troubleshooting solutions.
Recommended to Read : QuickBooks Error 15106
Looking for instant troubleshooting assistance to resolve QuickBooks error 12029? If yes, feel free to get in touch with our technical support team at the toll-free number (844)-888-4666.
What can be the reasons causing QuickBooks error code 12029?
Down below, we have mentioned all the possible reasons that can trigger QuickBooks error code 12029:
- * The Internet Explorer is not set to be the default browser of the computer.
- * QuickBooks Desktop fails to connect to the update server because of the faulty security settings of Internet Explorer.
What can you do to rectify QuickBooks error 12029?
Solution 1) Make Internet Explorer the default web browser of the computer
- 1. Double-select the icon of Internet Explorer to open the web browser.
- 2. Select the Gear icon located at the top-right corner (represents the Tools menu).
- 3. From the drop-down list, select the Internet Options option.
- 4. Go to the Programs tab and select the Make Default button under the Default Web Browser section.
- 5. At last, select the OK button.
Solution 2) Manually correct the security settings of Internet Explorer
- 1. In QuickBooks Desktop, choose the File menu located at the top menu bar.
- 2. From the drop-down list, select the Exit option.
- 3. Double-select the icon of Internet Explorer to open the web browser.
- 4. Select the Gear icon located at the top-right corner (represents the Tools menu.)
- 5. From the drop-down list, select the Internet Options option.
- 6. Go to the Security tab, choose the Globe icon, and then set the security level to Medium-high.
- 7. Move on to the Connections tab, choose the Never Dial a Connection option if you do not use DUN (dial-up node) on the computer. However, if you do use DUN, choose the right ISP.
- 8. Choose the OK button.
- 9. Select the LAN Settings button and then choose the automatically detect settings option.
- 10. Verify whether the Use a Proxy Server checkbox is clear or not.
Note: If the Use a Proxy Server checkbox is marked, make sure to document the port and complete address. If you see the port is port 80, uncheck the checkbox for testing purposes. If the port is not port 80, let the checkbox be marked.
- 1. Choose the OK button.
- 2. Move on to the Advanced tab and then select the Restore Advanced Settings button.
- 3. In the Settings section, find the Use TLS 1.2 checkbox and checkmark it.
- 4. Choose the OK button.
- 5. On the keyboard, press Alt and F4 keys altogether to close down Internet Explorer.
- 6. Reboot the computer.
Even after following all the troubleshooting solutions explained above in the post, if QuickBooks error 12029 persists, then there is a great possibility that any security applications installed on the computer are blocking QuickBooks Desktop from connecting to the update server. Our recommendation for you is to use Windows Safe mode to download the updates of payroll or QuickBooks Desktop and see whether this fixes the error or not. For additional troubleshooting assistance to resolve the update error, feel free to get in touch with our professional technical team at the toll-free number (844)-888-4666.