|Formation||30 October 1951|
|Type||National academy, Academy of Sciences|
|Warsaw Scientific Society|
Warsaw Society of Friends of Learning
The Polish Academy of Sciences (Polish: Polska Akademia Nauk, PAN) is a Polish state-sponsored institution of higher learning. Headquartered in Warsaw, it is responsible for spearheading the development of science across the country by a society of distinguished scholars and a network of research institutes. It was established in 1951, during the early period of the Polish People's Republic following World War II.
The Polish Academy of Sciences is a Polish state-sponsored institution of higher learning, headquartered in Warsaw, that was established by the merger of earlier science societies, including the Polish Academy of Learning (Polska Akademia Umiejętności, abbreviated PAU), with its seat in Kraków, and the Warsaw Society of Friends of Learning (Science), which had been founded in the late 18th century.
The Polish Academy of Sciences functions as a learned society acting through an elected assembly of leading scholars and research institutions. The Academy has also, operating through its committees, become a major scientific advisory body. Another aspect of the Academy is its coordination and overseeing of numerous (several dozen) research institutes. PAN institutes employ over 2,000 people and are funded by about a third of the Polish government's budget for science.
The Polish Academy of Sciences is led by a President, elected by the assembly of Academy members for a four-year term, together with a number of Vice Presidents.
The President for the 2019–2022 term is Prof. Jerzy Duszyński (his second term in the post), together with five Vice Presidents: Prof. Stanisław Czuczwar, Prof. Stanisław Filipowicz, Prof. Paweł Rowiński, Prof. Roman Słowiński, and Prof. Romuald Zabielski.
Presidents of the Polish Academy of Sciences:
The Polish Academy of Sciences has numerous institutes, including:
2001 Overseas Member, Polish Academy of Sciences.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Polish Academy of Sciences (PAN).|