Port in Postira with church
|• Total||47 km2 (18 sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
The village of Postira is located on the northern coast of the island of Brač, eight kilometers from the island's port of Supetar. It is connected with nearby villages Pučišća, Splitska and Dol as well as with the city of Supetar with paved road, where local bus lines operate.
The municipality has a total population of 1,559 in two settlements:
- Dol, population 139
- Postira, population 1,429
Postira was first mentioned in the 14th century. It is assumed that its name come from the Latin pastura. Several stone buildings and palaces speak of the rich merchant history of the village, most of which are still standing. They were built using the special Brač stone from the surrounding quarries.
The main activities are fishing, agriculture, and tourism.
Next to the harbour are the beaches of Prvija and Zastivanje. Beach Mala Lozna is on the east end of Postira village and far more to the east, is the very attractive sand beach, Lovrečina. Near Lovrečina beach are the ruins of a large early Christian basilica from the 5th-6th century.
There are hotels Pastura, Vrilo and Lipa in the village and many private apartments. Near the port is supermarket Studenac, bakery, bank, post and market. There are also several restaurants and tourist information center.
In the center of the village is the Church of John the Baptist (Sv. Ivan Krstitelj).
N.K. Postira ex Kolektivac is local football club.
(in chronological order)
- Ivan Matija Škarić dr.theology, Croatian translated interpretation of the Holy Bible (1793–1871)
- Vladimir Nazor (1876–1949), poet and writer, who was born in Postira
- Ruggero Tommaseo, writer and journalist, killed by communists 18.9.1943.
- Josip Škarić (1889–1975), physician, founder of the Higijenski zavod the first bacteriology station in Balkan region
- Žan Jakopač, leader of Šo!Mazgoon band
- "Općine Splitsko - dalmatinske županije". dalmacija.hr (in Croatian). Split-Dalmatia County. Archived from the original on 22 August 2015. Retrieved 25 August 2015.
- "Population by Age and Sex, by Settlements, 2011 Census: Postira". Census of Population, Households and Dwellings 2011. Zagreb: Croatian Bureau of Statistics. December 2012.
- "Population by Ethnicity, by Towns/Municipalities, 2011 Census: County of Split-Dalmatia". Census of Population, Households and Dwellings 2011. Zagreb: Croatian Bureau of Statistics. December 2012.
- Home page Postira: Home page Postira
- Sardina d.d. company
- Postira-Brač Online