|Town of Guilderland|
Guilderland Town Hall
|Etymology: Gelderland province in the Netherlands|
Prospice Gelria - Latin for Look Forward Guilderland
Location of New York in the United States
|Incorporation as town||1803|
|• Mayor||Peter G. Barber (D)|
|• Total||58.79 sq mi (152.26 km2)|
|• Land||57.90 sq mi (149.97 km2)|
|• Water||0.88 sq mi (2.29 km2)|
|Elevation||328 ft (100 m)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||617.31/sq mi (238.35/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (EST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
12084, 12303, 12009, 12203
|GNIS feature ID||0979030|
|Wikimedia Commons||Guilderland, New York|
Guilderland is a town in Albany County, New York, United States. In the 2010 census, the town had a population of 35,303. The town is named for the Gelderland province in the Netherlands. The town of Guilderland is on the central-northwest border of the county. It is just west of Albany, the capital of the U.S. state of New York.
Guilderland was originally a part of the Manor of Rensselaerswyck begun by Patroon Kiliaen van Rensselaer in 1629 as part of the New Netherland colony. By the end of the 17th century Dutch settlers from Albany and Schenectady began to establish farms in the area, beginning first along the banks of the Normans Kill. In 1712 a group of emigrants from the Rhine Valley in present-day Germany passed through the town on their way to Schoharie. They were the first to record and name the Helderberg Escarpment, originally Hellebergh meaning "bright or clear mountain". This name would also be used for all the land between the Normans Kill and the escarpment. In 1734 the first known religious service was held by a Lutheran dominie from Athens, New York to the "Normanskill Folk", and the first religious structure was a Dutch Reformed Church in 1750.
Guilderland was from the beginning a location very amenable to early industry due to its numerous streams for waterwheels, large forests for wood fuel, and the fine sand for glass works. In 1795 Jan and Leonard de Neufville (father and son) established a large glass factory mostly for the manufacture of windows but also of bottles of various shapes, sizes, and uses. Around this factory would spring the hamlet of Hamilton (today called Guilderland). The factory could not compete with cheap British imports after the War of 1812 and with its collapse the glass industry would never return to Guilderland. A hat factory and a foundry would both occupy the site over the next 200 years. French's Mills, another hamlet founded on industry, would be home many textile mills thanks to the power harnessed from the falls on the Normans Kill near Guilderland Center.
During the US Revolutionary War many families in Guilderland were split in their loyalties. In New York, tenant farmers generally opposed their landlords, the Patroons, who sided with the rebellious independentists (Patriots), making New York one of the colonies where the war of Independence became a vicious civil war. The patroon of Rensselaerswyck and the local clergy however were able to rally the support of the majority of the local settlers in opposing the Loyalists. Those remaining loyal to the established government operated among else from the caves of the Helderbergs raiding settlements with the help of Native American. A battle between Loyalists and rebel Schenectady Militia with help from Rhode Island Continental Troops was fought just east of Guilderland Center. It was later alleged that the local Loyalists were about to burn Schenectady and Albany, which is not entirely trustworthy as these would have been their own neighbors. In any case, the victory of the American forces allowed the Rhode Island contingent to travel to Saratoga for the Battle of Saratoga that occurred five weeks later, the turning point of the US Revolution.
From 1799 until its formation in 1803, Guilderland was a part of the town of Watervliet. The name Guilderland (spelled Guilderlandt in the original law) was the suggestion of resident Jeremiah Van Rensselaer, who happened to be Lieutenant-Governor of the state at the time, and as such was President of the Senate. His family (that of the original patroon) and many of the original settlers came from Gelderland, a province of the Netherlands. In 1871 the northwestern portion of Albany, west from Magazine Street, was annexed to Guilderland, after the town of Watervliet refused the annexation of the same territory. Portions of this territory would be annexed back to Albany in 1910, setting up more or less the current border.
At the start of the Town's founding, the Schoolcraft family was prominent. Congressman John L. Schoolcraft was born in Guilderland in September 1806. When his father, Captain John Schoolcraft, died in December of the same year, he was raised by his grandfather, John Schoolcraft. Wealthy grandfather Schoolcraft, owned much property in Guilderland hamlet, ran an inn and tavern, was the first Justice of the Peace in the hamlet, an elder and trustee of the Hamilton Union Church, and a member of the first Guilderland School Board. He was also the uncle of the famed Henry Rowe Schoolcraft. John L. Schoolcraft started a profitable mercantile business, became president of Albany Commercial Bank (later to become a component of today's Key Bank), and was groomed for politics by Thurlow Weed, editor of the Albany Evening Journal, winning his first Congressional election in 1848. In the 1840s, Schoolcraft built the early Gothic Schoolcraft mansion John Schoolcraft House upon his return from a European journey. He used it mostly as a summer residence. Schoolcraft was a close friend and confidant of Governor William Seward and married Seward's niece, Carolyn Canfield, in 1853.
Beyond the U.S. National Register sites, Guilderland was also home to the New York Power Pool and its control center after the Power Pool's formation in 1966 in response to the 1965 blackout. Most of its operations were transferred over to the NYISO after the NYISO's formation in 1999. The NYISO built a new control center in 2014 in Rensselaer, New York.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 58.7 square miles (152 km2), of which, 57.9 square miles (150 km2) of it is land and 0.8 square miles (2.1 km2) of it (1.31%) is water.
The town borders Schenectady County, New York, including the towns of Princetown and Rotterdam on the northern and western edges. It also borders the towns of Berne, Colonie, Bethlehem, and New Scotland and the city of Albany.
There are several ZIP codes in Guilderland, including 12084 (Guilderland), 12085 (Guilderland Center), 12203 (Albany), 12009 (Altamont), 12303 and 12306 (Schenectady), 12159 (Slingerlands), and 12186 (Voorheesville).
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the 2010 census, there were 35,303 people and 14,205 households residing in the town. The racial makeup of the town was 86.21% White, 3.41% African American, 0.14% Native American, 7.49% Asian, 0.04% Pacific Islander, 0.01% American Indian and Alaska Native, 0.93% from other races, and 1.76% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 3.2% of the population.
There were 13,422 households out of which 31.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 54.2% were married couples living together, 8.5% had a female householder with no husband present and 34.7% were non-families. 28.5% of all households were made up of individuals and 8.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.40 and the average family size was 3.00.
In the town, the population was spread out with 24.1% under the age of 18, 6.0% from 18 to 24, 30.9% from 25 to 44, 25.9% from 45 to 64, and 13.2% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 39 years. For every 100 females, there were 92.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 89.4 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $58,669 and the median income for a family was $68,472. Males had a median income of $48,742 versus $34,796 for females. The per capita income for the town was $29,508. About 2.4% of families and 4.1% of the population were below the poverty line, including 2.8% of those under age 18 and 4.0% of those age 65 or over. 64.9% of workers are employed in the private-sector, and 29.1% are government employees.
In 1812 the town was divided into eight school districts, mostly rural one room school houses. In 1901 the first high school in the town would be established at Altamont, this would be the only high school between Albany and Schoharie at the time. In 1953 the Guilderland Central School District would be formed on the consolidation of the eight smaller districts.
Guilderland is served by the Guilderland Central School District. It has one high school, Guilderland High School, one middle school, Farnsworth Middle School, and five elementary schools. These include Guilderland Elementary School, Pine Bush Elementary School, Lynnwood Elementary School, Altamont Elementary School, and Westmere Elementary School. Some portions of the town are served by other school districts, including Voorheesville Central School District, based in the town of New Scotland; as well as Schalmont Central School District and Mohonasen Central School District, both of which are based in the town of Rotterdam.
The current town supervisor is Peter G. Barber (since 2016).
The current councilmen and councilwomen are Patricia Slavick (2000), Paul Pastore (2006), Lee Carman (2016), and Rosemary Centi (2016).
Jean J. Cataldo is the current town clerk.
Lynne Buchanan is the current Receiver of Taxes.
The current town attorney is James Melita.
The seat of Guilderland's government is the Guilderland Town Hall.
The Town of Guilderland website is www.townofguilderland.org.
Like most of Albany County, Guilderland generally votes for Democrats for state and federal offices. Barack Obama received 60 percent of the vote in Guilderland in 2008, and 59 percent in 2012. Senators Schumer and Gillibrand and Representative Tonko all easily won Guilderland in their most recent elections.
In June 2018, Richard Sherwood, a former town judge, pleaded guilty to federal money laundering and tax evasion charges as well as a state grand larceny charge. Sherwood stole $11 million from estate trust funds he was charged with managing in his private practice. He also transferred property to his own name. He faces 3.5 years to 10 years in prison.
Emergency Medical Services for the town of Guilderland are provided by four separate medical entities. Guilderland EMS, which is a division of the Guilderland Police Department, provides the Advanced Life Support (career paramedics) for the town as well as other surrounding areas. Western Turnpike Rescue Squad, serving the local community since 1939 and Altamont Rescue Squad, established in 1937 both provide Basic Life Support care as well as medical transport for the town in their designated zones. During college semesters BLS care and transport for the University of Albany is provided by Five Quad, an all volunteer EMS agency consisting of University of Albany students and alumni.
There are eight main fire departments that also provide rescue; including Guilderland Fire Department, Westmere Fire Department Guilderland Center Fire Department, Fort Hunter Fire Department, Altamont Fire Department, North Bethlehem Fire Department, McKownville Fire Department and Pine Grove Fire Department.
The Guilderland Police Department is staffed by 36 sworn members along with 10 telecommunicators, 3 administrative office staff members, 3 animal services members and 20 full time and part time, paramedics operating under the EMS division. The police department is organized into the Patrol Division, Criminal Investigations Unit, Traffic Safety Unit, Community Services Unit, K-9 Unit, Communications Division, and Animal Control Unit. The Guilderland Police Department is headquartered in Guilderland Town Hall with a sub-station located at Crossgates Mall.
There are actually two libraries located in the Town of Guilderland: The Guilderland Public Library, and the Altamont Free Library. Both are members of the Upper Hudson Library System. The Guilderland Public Library, located at 2228 Western Avenue (US Route 20) serves as a cultural center for the town and the surrounding area. Some 59% of town residents hold library cards. Library use has grown with the population of the town. Since 1992, when the Guilderland Public Library moved into its current location, patron visits have almost doubled, from 177,996 to 343,144 annually, and circulation has more than doubled, from 214,446 to 519,426 items every year.
The Altamont Free Library, located in and serving the Village of Altamont, is a free association library. The Village of Altmont is a political entity within the borders of the Town of Guilderland.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Guilderland, New York.|