Wadesboro is a town in Anson County, North Carolina, United States. The population was 5,049 at the 2020 census. The town was originally found in 1783 as New Town but changed by the North Carolina General Assembly to Wadesboro in 1787 to honor Colonel Thomas Wade, a native son, state legislator, and Revolutionary War commander of the Anson County Regiment. It is the county seat of Anson County.
Wadesboro, North Carolina
|Town of Wadesboro|
"The Heart of the Carolinas"
|Founded by||Patrick Boggan|
|Named for||Thomas Wade|
|• Mayor||Bill Thacker (I)|
|• Total||6.60 sq mi (17.10 km2)|
|• Land||6.59 sq mi (17.07 km2)|
|• Water||0.01 sq mi (0.03 km2)|
|Elevation||512 ft (156 m)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||800.33/sq mi (309.01/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||0996663|
Originally named Newtown, the town was renamed by the North Carolina General Assembly in 1787 to honor of Colonel Thomas Wade after his service with the Anson County Regiment of militia in the American Revolutionary War.
In 1900, scientists determined that Wadesboro would be the best location in North America for viewing an expected total solar eclipse. The Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory, then based in Washington, D.C., loaded several railroad cars with scientific equipment and headed to the town.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
|Black or African American (non-Hispanic)||3,066||61.88%|
|Hispanic or Latino||89||1.78%|
As of the 2020 United States census, there were 5,008 people, 2,022 households, and 1,164 families residing in the town.
As of the census of 2010, there were 5,813 people, 2,303 households, and 1,428 families residing in the town. The population density was 921.2 people per square mile (355.8/km2). There were 2,692 housing units at an average density of 426.6 per square mile (164.7/km2). The racial makeup of the town was 35.6% White, 60.7% African American, 0.2% Native American, 1.4% Asian, 0.9% some other race, and 1.3% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.8% of the population.
There were 2,303 households, out of which 32.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 31.1% were headed by married couples living together, 25.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 38.0% were non-families. 34.5% of all households were made up of individuals, and 16.3% were someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.40, and the average family size was 3.09.
In the town, the population was spread out, with 24.6% under the age of 18, 8.6% from 18 to 24, 23.1% from 25 to 44, 24.8% from 45 to 64, and 19.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 39.8 years. For every 100 females there were 81.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 76.5 males.
For the period 2007–11, the estimated median annual income for a household in the town was $32,550, and the median income for a family was $34,522. Male full-time workers had a median income of $38,385 versus $29,297 for females. The per capita income for the town was $17,055. About 19.0% of families and 22.8% of the population were below the poverty line, including 39.1% of those under age 18 and 11.1% of those age 65 or over.
Wadesboro is served by the Anson County School District.
Television stations available are from the Charlotte Designated Market Area, which Anson County and Wadesboro are a part of. Additionally, the local cable provider carries one station from Columbia, South Carolina, WIS-TV.
Horror film Evil Dead II was filmed in Wadesboro, and the Huntley House became the production office for the film. Most of Evil Dead II was filmed in the woods near that farmhouse, or J.R. Faison Junior High School, which is where the interior cabin set was located.
...Wadesboro, was established in 1783 and was known as New Town until 1787, when it was renamed for Revolutionary War soldier and North Carolina legislator Col. Thomas Wade.
In 1782, Boggan purchased seventy acres of land and donated it for a town to serve that purpose, which soon came to be called simply New Town. At the death of Colonel Wade in 1786, the name Wadesboro was adopted.
Wadesboro, originally New Town and the county seat of Anson County, was named for Thomas Wade in 1787 after his death in 1786.