Franklin in 1968
Queen of Soul Aretha Franklin passed away on August 26, 2018, aged 76 after an eight-year battle with pancreatic cancer.
After her death her family made a statement reading:
"Franklin's official cause of death was due to advanced pancreatic cancer of the neuroendocrine type, which was confirmed by Franklin's oncologist, Dr. Philip Phillips of Karmanos Cancer Institute."
Advanced Pancreatic Cancer
Advanced pancreatic cancer means the cancer has spread from where it started, or has come back some time after treatment (recurrence).
Pancreatic cancer can be quite advanced when it is first diagnosed. You may not have had any symptoms when it was in its early stages, or they may have been vague and difficult to spot.
Foods to eat
Photo by ja ma on Unsplash
• Fruits and vegetables. The World Cancer Research Fund International recommends eating at least five servings of non-starchy vegetables and fruits daily.
• Lean protein. Protein-rich foods bolster the immune syatem and help repair cells and tissues.
• High-fiber starches.
• Green tea.
• Healthy fats.
Foods to avoid
Photo by Josè Ignacio Pompè on Unsplash
• Red meat and processed meat. These hard-to-digest foods have also been cited as possible cause of cancer.
• Greasy, fatty, or fried foods.
Photo by AdamJaime on Unsplash
• Alcohol. Heavy drinking may increase pancreatic cancer risk or worsen your symptoms if you have pancreatic cancer.
• Sugar and refined carbohydrates.
Foods to fight pancreatic cancer
Photo by Heather Seymour on Unsplash
"Garlic has also been associated with stopping tumor cell growth, while also enhancing the taste of food.
Dark leafy greens-Kale, especially, is loaded with vitamin C and beta-carotene, which are known to fight cancer.
Kale is also rich in kaemperol, a flavonoid that inhibits the growth of pancreatic cancer cells."
Five strategies can help ease the symptoms and pain of exocrine pancreatic insuffiency in most people:
1. Get plenty of fluids.
2. Try a low-fat diet.
3. Use dietary supplements.
4. Avoid a high-fiber diet.
5. Stop drinking alcohol and quit smoking.
Prevention is better than cure. Health is wealth.
"Health is like money, we never have a true idea of its value until we lose it." - Josh Billings