Building Design and Building Information Modeling (BIM) Software is a 3D model that provides deep insights into the process for planning, designing, constructing and managing buildings. The software helps in analyzing the qualitative and quantitative features of construction. The major benefits of Best BIM software comprise quick project completion, detailed visualization tools with quality results at an affordable cost. With BIM software architects are able to compare the final product with 3D model created by the software. The software is powerful information management and 3D modeling tool and has capability to design complex processes.
Building Design and Building Information Modeling (BIM) Quadrant Highlights
36 companies offering Building Design and Building Information Modeling (BIM) Software were analyzed and categorized on a quadrant under Visionary Leaders, Innovators, Dynamic Differentiators, and Emerging Leaders.
ArchiCAD, AutoCAD, AutoCAD Architecture, Navisworks, Revit Live, and SketchUp have been identified as visionary leaders as they have established product portfolios and a robust market presence and business strategy.
Revit LT, Civil 3D, and MicroStation have been identified as innovators as they have focused product portfolios, but a mediocre business strategy.
AutoCAD MEP, Vectorworks Architect, and Leica Geosystems have been identified as emerging companies as they have a niche product offering but poor business strategy.
BIM Track, DataCAD, and The Wild have been recognized as dynamic differentiators as they have an innovative portfolio of solutions and services.
The 360Quadrants platform provides the most granular Building Design and Building Information Modeling (BIM) Software comparison between vendors.
360Quadrants conducts an in-depth SWOT analysis and accurately analyses the companies considered for evaluation. This helps service providers in learning about new opportunities and areas where they lag behind their peers. It also helps clients in choosing the most appropriate vendor for their requirements.
BIM software is a sophisticated software which enables all the stakeholders to come together on board, and work out the plan, and design of a building in the form of a 3D model. Best BIM software has replaced the traditional blueprints and CAD software to give a realistic visual image of a building. The users of Building Design and Building Information Management software include owners, architect, contractors and engineers.
Top BIM software offers a single place where all architectural, construction and engineering processes can be combined and provides a collaborative environment for the stakeholders to put in their efforts.
Top BIM software features are listed below:
- Using a BIM software can help the stakeholders get a better estimation of the project as a realistic visualization of the building helps in getting correct estimate of the time and the resources involved. Real time changes done to the design can help in the optimization of the cost.
- Even before the construction begins, the client can have a complete image of what the actual building would look like and can suggest alterations at the very moment, so that the final building meets all expectations.
- BIM Software identifies the clashes which might happen in the real construction and thus avoid the occurrences of errors when the actual construction takes place.
- BIM software documents every aspect of the architecture, design and construction, thus helps in proper scheduling of the tasks. It ensures that the project timeline aligns with the plan.
- BIM software identifies the hazard which might happen during the project thus keeping the construction premise safe for all the workers.
- They save all the alterations made to the plan, making sure files remain safe and no deviations happen from the planned design.
- These software deliver a collaborative work environment where all stakeholders can contribute and can monitor the status of the project. They offer tools which allow smooth integration of all the models and coordination between stakeholders.
- Realistic visualization of the building aids in running simulations to see how the built space would look like across different seasons of the year and even at different times of day in different lighting conditions.
- Help in proper planning with detailing out all the processes which need to be followed in a stepwise approach.
- BIM Software deliver a clear image of the complete project, enabling engineers and architects to present the digital outcomes of their efforts much confidently.
- Most of the top BIM software are cloud-based, which enables stakeholders to view and collaborate at ease form their own place.
Top BIM Vendors
- AutoCAD Architecture
- AutoCAD Plant 3D
- BIM Track
- Trimble RealWorks
BIM Software Pricing
There are several BIM software available in the market with different pricing plans. Most of the BIM software have a per user pricing model. There are few BIM software which even charge a price for training the users, but free alternatives do exist. Many vendors have varied prices, depending on the wise array of the features being covered. A BIM software can be selected on the basis of the project type, functionalities needed and the budget at hand. The AutoCAD Architecture BIM software pricing starts at $1288 per annum for a single user license, while AutoCAD Plant 3D BIM software has an annual subscription plan worth $1042 per user. BIM sync another alternative, offers its services at $270 per user per month, making it priced at a higher end. Several top BIM software provide a free trial or demo, which can be accessed to evaluate which software is the right match for the project.
Levels of BIM
Level 0 BIM
At this level, there is no collaboration of the stakeholders. It involves using 2D CAD and working on digital prints. Mostly none of the organization work at Level 0 as it does not offer much benefits.
Level 1 BIM
It involves using 3D CAD for the conceptualization. At Level 1, stakeholders don’t collaborate much and handle their own data.
Level 2 BIM
At Level 2, the collaboration of different stakeholders begins. The files are shared in a common format so that CAD software can export them. Each stakeholder works on his own file
Level 3 BIM
At Level 3, all the stakeholders work on a single shared file making collaboration smoother.
Latest Trends in BIM Software
- 3D Printing
Recent developments in 3D printing have made it easier to develop prototypes. A BIM software integrated with 3D printing can effectively create prototypes which can be shared with all the stakeholders. Seeing all the elements in a physical form enables stakeholders to take better decisions
Integrating Augmented Reality and Virtual Reality with BIM software enables stakeholders to visualize the #D models more clearly.
- Cloud Software Usage
Having a cloud-based BIM software enables accessibility of the project anytime and anywhere. It lets stakeholders contribute real time from anywhere.
- Internet of Things (IoT)
Applying IoT, can help get real time data about the usage of resources and can help management take better decisions on optimizing the project
360 Scoring Methodology
Top Companies in Building Design and Building Information Modeling (BIM) Software will be rated using the following methodology -
A highly experienced team of researchers and senior analysts conduct extensive research to generate a list of vendors (competitors).
a) Criteria under Product Maturity include breadth and depth of product/service offering, product features and functionalities, product differentiation, and their impact on customer value.
b) Criteria under Company Maturity include geographical footprint, partner ecosystem, financial stability, and client coverage or sector footprint.
b. Industry Experts
c. 360Quadrants Analysts
d. Vendors (Competitors)