City Terminal Zone
The City Terminal Zone, also known as the City Zone Branch, is a collection of rail lines of the Long Island Rail Road in New York City. Specifically, it includes to all stations that lie in fare zone 1 (except for Mets–Willets Point on the Port Washington Branch), which is the set of stations west of Jamaica.
There are three routes that are part of the City Terminal Zone:
- New York Penn Station (NYP) – Trains that travel from Jamainca, west along the Main Line, to Penn Station in Manhattan via the East River Tunnels.
- Atlantic Terminal (AT) – Trains that travel along the Atlantic Branch to Brooklyn.
- Long Island City (LIC) – Trains that serve Hunterspoint Avenue and Long Island City in Queens. These trains also use the Main Line west of Jamaica, but typically skip Woodside, Forest Hills, and Kew Gardens. This route is served only during weekday rush hours in the peak direction (to Long Island City in the morning, from Long Island City in the afternoon).
Until November 2012, the City Terminal Zone also included the Lower Montauk Branch from Long Island City to Jamaica. This line served Penny Bridge, Haberman, Fresh Pond, Glendale, and Richmond Hill stations until March 1998.
The City Terminal Zone is slated to include a branch to a new station underneath Grand Central Terminal as part of the East Side Access project. A new station in Sunnyside, Queens, is scheduled to be built once the remainder of the project is complete.
- "Long island City". Metropolitan Transit Authority. Retrieved January 21, 2017.
- City Terminal Zone branch timetable